Joel K. Haack
Dean, College of Humanities, Arts and Sciences
Professor, Department of Mathematics
University of Northern Iowa
- Ph.D. in Mathematics (1979),
- M.S. in Statistics (1978),
- M.S. in Mathematics (1975),
- B.A. in Mathematical Sciences (1974), University of Iowa.
- Dean, College of Humanities, Arts and Sciences (2011-date),
- Dean, College of Humanities and Fine Arts (2010-2011),
- Dean, College of Natural Sciences (2006-2011),
- Interim Dean, College of Natural Sciences (2000-2001, 2005-2006),
- Head, Department of Mathematics, University of Northern Iowa (1991-2000).
- Interim Head (1990-91), Undergraduate Director (1989-1990),
- Associate Head (1987-1988), Department of Mathematics, Oklahoma State University.
- Professor, University of Northern Iowa (1991-date).
- Directed two masters theses.
- Associate and Assistant Professor, Oklahoma State University (1979-1991).
- Directed three doctoral and one masters theses.
- Teaching Assistant, University of Iowa (1974-1979).
- Courses taught include liberal arts core courses, mathematics for elementary
education, pre-calculus service courses, calculus and linear algebra; upper
division courses in algebra, geometry, history of mathematics, probability,
linear programming, and combinatorics; and graduate courses in algebra, homological
algebra, logic, history of mathematics, art and mathematics, and mathematics
for middle grades educators.
Mathematics research and scholarship:
- Wrote twenty-two refereed papers in the areas of the history of mathematics,
connections between mathematics and the arts, and non-commutative ring theory.
- Presented numerous addresses and invited presentations at professional meetings,
universities, colleges, and high schools.
- Refereed and reviewed research articles.
- Received grants from NSF and NATO.
- Developed mathematics programs for several junior and senior high school
summer programs, including NEH-sponsored Ancient Greece and Medieval Studies
- Wrote papers appearing in The College Mathematics Journal and Humanities
- Presented workshops on the History of Mathematics to college faculty and
to college students at MAA sectional meetings.
- Presented numerous addresses and invited presentations at professional meetings
of AMS, MAA, and NCTM, and at universities, colleges, and high schools.
- Presently on the Board of Governors for the MAA, Chair of the Science Policy Committee and Chair of the Audit Committee.
Joel K. Haack / College of Humanities, Arts and Sciences
/ UNI / mailto:Joel.Haack@uni.edu